2 pounds stew meat, cut in 1-inch cubes
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup potatoes, diced
2 (8-ounce) cans tomatoes in sauce
2 (8-ounce) cans diced tomatoes in sauce
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
Yield: 6 servings.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven.
- Toss meat cubes, flour, salt and pepper in large bowl.
- Place mixture in Dutch oven and brown meat for about 15 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots, celery and potatoes to oven. Cook over medium-high heat until onions are tender.
- Add stock and tomatoes to oven. Bring to boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 1 hour. Add cocoa and cook until beef is tender, about 30 minutes.
Recipe from Charlie Gipe CEC AAC,
Executive Chef for Hershey Entertainment Complex