2 tablespoons butter, softened
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Spanish onion, diced
1 ounce chipotle pepper, canned
3 ounces apple cider vinegar
3 ounces barbecue sauce
3 ounces Hershey's bitter (unsweetened or semi-sweet) chocolate
3 ounces chicken/vegetable stock
8 ounces corn syrup
2 ounces sugar, granulated
2 tablespoons honey
1 bay leaf
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Pinch of ground cumin
Pinch of ground cloves
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Recipe from Ken Gladysz,
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion and chipotle and sweat for 2 minutes.
- De-glaze with vinegar bring to boil, reduce to simmer. Reduce by half.
- Add barbecue sauce, stock, corn syrup, sugar, honey and spices. Mix well and bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Slowly add chocolate, mixing until fully incorporated.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Place in blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove from blender and pass through fine strainer.
- Add cilantro and mix well.
- Season with salt and fresh pepper.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Taste; adjust seasoning if necessary.
Executive Chef of The Hotel Hershey