Flourless cooking spray for greasing
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1 tablespoon boiling water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7 ounces Hershey’s unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
6 ounces Hershey’s semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
7 large eggs
2 3/4 cup sugar
2 cups chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups Hershey’s semi-sweet chocolate chips
Yield: 24 cookies.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray cookie sheets with cooking spray or line them with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl and set aside.
- Combine instant coffee and boiling water to make a paste. Blend in vanilla extract.
- Melt chopped unsweetened chocolate, chopped semi-sweet chocolate and butter in a saucepan over medium low heat or in the microwave in 15- to 20-second intervals. Gently stir to blend.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together eggs, sugar and coffee paste mixture on high speed until light in texture and thick, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add chocolate mixture with machine running on medium speed.
- On low speed, mix in dry ingredients until just blended.
- Mix in walnuts and chocolate chips until blended. Scrape down bowl as needed during mixing to blend evenly.
- Using 1/4-cup measure as a scoop, fill it with dough, level it and drop dough onto a prepared cookie sheet, leaving 3 to 4 inches between cookies.
- In batches, bake until cookies are cracked on top but still slightly moist, rotating pans as necessary to bake evenly, 14 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool slightly on cookie sheet before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely
Recipe from Bill Justus,
Executive Chef of Hershey Lodge